Is your home 'Gas Safe'?

1) Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year, or in accordance with your manufacturer's guidelines, by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

2) Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.
An alarm will alert you to the presence of the poisonous gas ‘Carbon Monoxide’ produced by unsafe gas appliances.


What is Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is the new hallmark for gas safety in Great Britain and the Isle of Man. From 1 April 2009, Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI gas registration as the official gas safety body.  From that date, only Gas Safe registered engineers should carry out work on gas appliances or installations in your home, within Great Britain and the Isle of Man.


Why use a Gas Safe registered engineer?

It’s all about safety. To make sure that gas appliances such as boilers, fires, ovens and hobs are installed, maintained and serviced safely you should employ a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out the work.  If someone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer does the gas work in your home, you could be risking the safety of your family and your property. 


Why CORGI gas registration in Great Britain is ending

The Health and Safety Executive undertook a review of gas safety in 2006. This review concluded that there was a strong case for modernising the gas registration scheme to bring added benefits to gas consumers and gas engineers. The review called for a clearer focus on gas safety, and simple registration and competence requirements for gas engineers without compromising safety or service standards. It was an opportunity to build on the successes of the existing registration scheme, and at the same time introduce innovation and add value to gas consumer safety. 


How to check that your engineer is Gas Safe registered

All Gas Safe registered engineers should carry an ID card. The license number can easily be verified by Gas Safe by calling 0800 408 5500 or contacting them via the Gas Safe website. 

Webmaster: George Barrett